The Rime of the Postmodern Mariner

More ramblings of Rhys Hughes.

Sunday, August 01, 2010

Prog-Rock Comp



Here's a quick competition. Take a look at the photo above. It shows a small part of one of my bookshelves. Can you spot the prog-rock reference? I have a very specific reference in mind, but if you come up with something different that's equally valid I'll accept it as an answer too... If more than one person spots the reference I'll have to throw a dice or toss a coin to determine who wins the following prize:


Yes, three of my chapbooks... OK, it's not the greatest prize in the world. It's not even the greatest prize in the land, district, town or street, but hey! it's a free competition. Email your answers to: rhysaurus@yahoo.co.uk

Closing date is: midnight on Friday, August 6th.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Rhys, I see that one of the books that you have on the shelf is "The Dragon", fifteen stories by Zamyatin. I didn't think anybody else read that book. Glad to see that you read it too. Best regards, Alberto

4:31 AM  
Blogger Postmodern Mariner said...

Hello Alberto! Ah yes, I adore Zamyatin! He's one of my favourite Russian writers. Maybe I even prefer his work to Bulgakov, Kharms and the Strugatski Brothers. His short stories are very strange and very good!

4:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rhys, I finished reading Zamyatin's book (The Dragon) two months ago. But I had read "We" years ago. No doubt that he was a smart person, good writer, but not all the 15 stories have the same quality. Some, like "The Dragon", are hard to understand, if I do at all. These writers had a tough life back then.

By the way, I already ordered your book "New Universal History..." almost two months ago but the book was lost, and the seller had to send it again. I'm eager to read it. When I do, I'll make a comment. By the way, the seller said that to compensate for the delay, this copy is signed by you. Excellent.

5:07 PM  
Blogger Mashemon said...

I want say "Brain Salad Surgery" but then that is my default prog related response. Do I win a prize for being incapable of changing?

1:51 AM  
Blogger Postmodern Mariner said...

Hola Alberto: I have just thought of something... Did you order the English language version of my Universal History of Infamy book? I ask this because there's a Spanish translation available...

Mashemon: one thing I've always wanted to know is what sort of dressing would one put on a brain salad? Just virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar and extra deep thoughts?

2:39 AM  
Blogger Mashemon said...

I would use the words "a little twist of lemon" spoken in an outrageous French accent.

7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home